The governance of sustainability within TIM is ensured mainly by the constant monitoring of the following processes:
For sustainability reporting, we use a set of more than 500 KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), chosen on the basis of the Comprehensive GRI-Standars (Global Reporting Initiative), the Global Compact principles, feedback coming from our stakeholders and questionnaires sent by the major rating agencies for the purposes of inclusion in financial sustainability indices .
We keep track of KPIs through a centralized software platform which is also used for accounting and financial control processes. It also allows the sharing of data with other platforms, to ensure maximum integration of sustainability into business processes. Our "data owners", people who work in all operational areas of the Group, ensure the collection and inputing of data that feed the system. Imputed data are controlled centrally by the Sustainability Metrics & Performance Index Analysis (SMP) team.
Planning for new projects concerning sustainability is divided into four phases:
- identifying areas for improvement of sustainability performance;
- comparison between the areas for improvement and investment projects that the Group expects to perform for business purposes;
- definition of actions targeted on areas of improvement where no project has been done previously or those where the planned projects do not have sufficient positive impact in terms of sustainability;
- monitoring of the areas in need of supervision to maintain the level of performance achieved.
The comparison between the planning done by the SMP department and the priorities of the business lines takes place in a systematic way, allowing us to balance costs and benefits.
On top of reporting and planning:
- Our constant engagement with our stakeholders provides us with feedbacks on the efficacy of our actions.
- Our evironmental performance is constantly monitored by a specific team of specialists working in the SMP department.
Social issues related to the community are coordinated, for the most part, by the SMP department, while those related to our people are managed by the Human Resources & Organizational Development department.
The Group's sustainability is subject to the supervision of the Control and Risk Committee, which has the task of overseeing the activities of sustainability in general, including projects undertaken by the TIM foundation, by checking their consistency with the ethical values of the Group.