Big Data Challenge 2014: the final act Big Data Challenge 2014: the final act

Big Data Challenge 2014: the final act

The winners are announced

- + Text size
Print

The Big Data Challenge, the contest dedicated to the creation and development of innovative technological ideas in the Big Data field, has ended. The winners of this first edition were awarded at the ICT Days event in Trento.

Officially started in December, the contest involved many enthusiasts and professionals in the sector from all over the world who were given the opportunity over the months to interact and face the challenge… with big data.

The aim was to present projects dedicated to the smart city, using the data made available by the contest on: telecommunications, public and private transport, energy consumption, the weather and the world of social networks for the city of Milan and the Trentino region.

It therefore gave researchers, designers and professionals a concrete opportunity to compare and take part in a debate on a subject that we hear so much about, not only in newspapers and sector-specific magazines: Big Data, i.e. the huge amount of information and data of various kinds generated by the Web, social networks and interconnected gadgets and devices that now pervade our lives. Understanding the data and being able to organise and compare them will be the challenge that science, politics, companies and citizens will have to face in order to improve the life of individuals and communities. In this regard, we point out the interesting interview with Alex ‘Sandy’ Pentland, the Director of the MIT Human Dynamics Laboratory, whom we met and interviewed at the ICT Days event in Trento.

The contest in numbers

But let’s talk about the participants who gave their all to this first edition of the Big Data Challenge 2014. The contest involved the participation of: 1,131 participants (652 teams and 105 universities), with 56% from Italy and the remaining 44% from Europe, the USA and the United Arab Emirates.

Three winning teams were selected from the shortlist of 10 finalists, one for each track (Data Analytics, Data Visualization and App Development): Easystats Ltd, the University of Trento and LocaliData, from London, Trento and Milan respectively were awarded a prize of 6,000 euros, and received other benefits.

Let’s meet the winners

For Data Analytics:

People as Sensors for Predicting Energy Consumption  - Università di Trento

The project aims to reduce electricity production in the producer – distributor – consumer chain in the Province of Trento. The solution put forward by the University of Trento team is to work towards reducing total primary energy consumption by limiting the production of energy when it is not required and reducing distribution costs through efficient planning. In this way, the annual consumption of primary energy can be reduced by 20% by 2020.

The team comprises Andrey Bogomolova PhD student at the University of Trento who works on the research project "Understanding human behaviour by analysing the use of mobile phones and Web usage patterns".

For App Development:

Living Land Use - Politecnico di Milano CEFRIEL

The Living Land Use application is intended to create “a footprint” of the urban territory by analysing the data provided by the Big Data Challenge and comparing existing “footprints” to establish a classification. The aim: to redesign the urban environment in a simpler and less expensive way, using the digital data on the territory left by users.

The team comprises: Irene Celino – Research Manager at CEFRIELSoheil Behnam, a student of Computer Systems Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Milan and Kourosh Sheykhvand, a student of Computer Systems Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Milan.

 

For Data Visualization:

Human impact from a bird’s eye view  - Easystats

The aim of the project is to provide quick insight into human activity using visualization techniques. The number of moving cars, the geographical distribution of outgoing calls, the measurement of nitrogen dioxide and air pollution throughout the city are different data that can all be attributed to human activities. This solution tries to bring attention to the impact and the number of everyday activities, transforming the data into comprehensible information via textual reports or simple graphs.

The team comprises programmers with a passion for statistics, web and mobile applications. Easystats specialises in creating customised reports, risk forecasts and early-warning applications for companies.